Thursday, November 21, 2013

Being healthy - why does it have to always be so hard?


I am pretty good about taking care of myself - get regular yearly physicals, mammograms, I eat decently (most of the time), I exercise at least 3 days a week, take my vitamins, etc. But sometimes it's just not enough. Sometimes age catches up with you and your body decides to do it's own thing despite all the hard work you put in.

I got my blood work back and when discussing the results with my doctor, it turns out that I have hypothyroidism, meaning my thyroid is under-active and not producing enough hormones. This explains so many things: sudden weight gain over the past year (despite boot camps 3 x week and a change in eating habits), complete exhaustion all the time (as in I can fall asleep anytime, anywhere), and a higher cholesterol level than I've ever had before. As much as I don't want to be on medications for the rest of my life, I'm happy to know that there is a reason for my symptoms and it's not fatal. :) I will gladly take them and look forward to feeling better and seeing results in 3 months when I do the re-check.

Speaking of mammograms, I'm doing my duty and having my boobies squished today!! Nothing like two metal plates mashing down your ta-ta's to perk you up. So, don't forget gals, save second base and get your boobies checked (and do a baseline check at 40 - or earlier if your doctor requests it.)

Here's to living healthy and solving the world's problems. Ok, maybe not but at least I can sleep well knowing I'll be ok. 


~with much love, always


No comments: