Friday, April 8, 2011

AI Recap (Spoiler Alert)

So, I've been watching American Idol since the end of season 1 when Kelly beat out Justin Guarini (really, Justin? Where are you now?) It's been a fun show, the kids (sometimes Brian) and I can watch it together, plus it's really fun to make fun of the ones who can't sing (even though I hate the audition part of the season.)

I have learned that to enjoy the show I need to avoid all social media from 5 pm until I get around to watching it (usually on the night of the show so I can go back to my crack social media addiction.) However, last night I learned that Pia went home way before I got around to watching it. So since I knew who went home, I decided not to avoid twitter to see what the backlash was on her leaving. Boy, was there backlash!! People were in an uproar over her leaving!

Ok, I can see some of it: she is a great singer, she's very pretty, her body is rocking. But you know something, people? She has NO PERSONALITY!! That's why she wouldn't have won. She had no big back story, she was always too quiet, she barely spoke to the judges, and answered in short sentences.

I called this a man's season from the top 24. I said it then and I'll say it again. A man will probably win. They (well, most of them anyway) just have more personality and more talent.So here's my take on what's left this season. Remember, this is all my not-so-humble opinion. ;)

* Jacob - really don't like him; just rubs me the wrong way. Yes, he can sing but it's just not my cup of tea (or gospel)
* Haley - she's cute, I do enjoy her voice but she won't win because she's just not at the caliber of the others. Give her a few years.
* Casey - love him! He's unique, a little crazy, and plays a mean stand-up bass!
* Lauren - Another cute one but not enough talent to win.
* James - hmmm, let me come back to James later...
* Scotty - ok, this kid can sing his ass off and I do believe he'll make it to the top 3 or so but we've already had an amazing country star fro AI (Carrie Underwood anyone?) His voice is pretty phenomenal for his age, though. He sounds like a seasoned country star but that''s all he is - a country star.
* Stefano - probably going home next because he is just too lounge-y and can't really hold his own up there with the others, despite those lovely abs. ;)
* Paul - very unique, Rod Stewart kind of voice, good but good enough to win compared with the others? I don't think so.
*James - Ok, so he's been my number one pick from day one. He has proven he's got the voice to nail those high notes, he can sing rock, he can slow it down and be gentle, he's got a great story, and America will want to  make up for not choosing Adam Lambert (even though he went on to release a great debut album and will undoubtedly be around for awhile.)

So, that's my take on AI this week. Get over it America. Pia wasn't going to win anyway. And, as everyone has said, y'all should have voted for her!

~with much love, always

No comments: