Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas Day

Had a lovely Christmas with parents and siblings (minus a few who were definitely missed!) It was such a humbling day for me overall. Decided at 6pm to drive to Westminster to go see my ailing grandfather (whom I haven't seen in a couple of years - since moving out of state.) I was just heartbroken to see my Papa in the state he's in now. He has Alzheimer's which is truly a horrible disease. He has been deteriorating so much, more quickly (he's also been on hospice for 3 months.) Good news is that he remembered me briefly. Watching my family with him was so incredible- they are kind, patient and answer his questions over and over, my sister feeds him and helps him drink his fluids. This is all the more amazing because she has rheumatoid arthritis and has her own health problems - fingers bent and misshapen, swelling of her joints, etc but she does what she can to help her Papa. So beautiful! I cannot even begin to express my thoughts on those 2 hours as nothing can do it justice. I love my family for sacrifices they give constantly. I love and miss my grandfather even though he's still alive. I'm sad for my children who only got to know him for such a short time. I'm blessed for all the wonderful things I have in life and can only hope that I am living my true best life. 

No comments: