Monday, September 5, 2011

Potato salad vs.... Potato salad

Everyone has their own recipe for certain foods in life - cookies, spaghetti, brownies, stroganoff, etc. But one food that causes division among married couples is potato salad (and tuna.) Everyone thinks their recipe is the best ever (or their mon's recipe, anyway.)

The other night we were having a fabulous brisket that Brian smoked along with a mix of other foods that weren't enough for 4 people to eat so I made little bits of several things- baked beans, squash, a loaf of bread. Brian asked me to make potato salad. He said to call his mom and get her recipe. I told him that I had a perfectly good recipe and I would make that. So, I proceeded to go to the store to make sure I had all then ingredients: potatoes, red potatoes (I would have also added a sweet potato but my family wouldn't have eaten it), red onion, celery, eggs. I came home and cooked the eggs & potatoes all while multitasking, of course. I ended up spending a couple of hours from start to finish making it.

It was fabulous! Brian tasted it and said something was missing and here's where it gets ugly. His family adds sweet pickles to everything. Everything. Tuna, macaroni salad, potato salad, egg salad, etc. I'm not kidding, they'll add pickles to it all. And I hate pickles. They make me gag. So, he was a little upset that I made this huge bowl of potato salad and it wasn't good to him at all. That's a bit of an exaggeration if you ask me. It just needed a little kick for him to enjoy it. I just asked him to pull a large portion out and he could add as many pickles as he wants to his version of it - everyone happy. He tried to get the kids to try it but Nate wouldn't even try my un-picklized version but Elizabeth tried it and hated it (she's not a pickle eater either.)

It all worked out in the end and the entire meal was great regardless of which version of potato salad you enjoyed. It's just funny how one little ingredient can make or break a recipe for some people.

~ with much love, always

No comments: