Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Men

What is up with men and their refusal to take medication?? My husband woke up Monday with a drippy nose and continued to drip and sniffle his way through the morning. I really hate that sound of sucking snot and phlegm back up inside your had - it really grosses me out. I asked him if he wanted something to take and he said no, it's usually gone by this time. Half an hour later and I'm still listening to him sniffle. Seriously?! Take a fricking cold and allergy pill already!! Due to my numerous issues with allergies I have all kinds of different meds -  ones that help you sleep and dry up your congestion, ones that don't make you sleepy, cough ones, you name it, I've probably got it! But, no, he won't take it.

He's also the guy that sleeps horribly. You know what I mean... wakes up 3-4 times per night, can't turn his brain off, thinks about work and how stressful his job is. Will he go to the doctor to get a nice little Rx for some Ambien so he (and in return, I) can sleep better? No. He won't.

My son comes home from school Monday and says his throat is killing him.
Me: Do you want a throat lozenge to help take the pain away and make it easier for you to swallow.,
Him: No, I'm fine
Me: Are you sure? I have the ones that don't taste yucky.
Him: No.
Me: Ooookkkkay...

By the end of the night, he's miserable, his throat still hurts, and he's whiny. Yea.

Woke up this morning, moping around the house, sniffling, coughing. Again, we have the same conversation with me adding in some cold medicine to help. Nope. Still refusing to take it. If he were younger, I'd force him to take it but at almost 12 (in 3 weeks), I let him decide. He heads of to school, no meds (sorry teachers and is fellow classmates - but it's just a cold.)

I just don't get the resistance to taking something that will help you feel a little better. If you have a headache, you take Tylenol or Advil; if you have diarrhea, you take an Imodium; if you are having allergy issues, you take a Sudafed; if your throat hurts, suck on a fricking lozenge!!

No comments: