Tuesday, April 12, 2011

5k

Ben Davis of Ben Does Life is coming to AZ this summer on his US Tour and Nate and I want to run the 5k with him.

Wait, let's backtrack... I'm NOT a runner, never have been, don't have any aspirations to ever run a marathon be it half or full, and don't really enjoy the pain it always manages to bring. Now, I can walk for days. I love walking, walking with friends, walking alone with music, hiking, etc. But running? Eh, I can do without.


But I have this goal. I want to meet Ben and run the 5k with him and not be one of the walkers bringing up the rear. I want to be proud that I can keep up and actually reach a fitness goal that I have set for myself (cause that rarely happens.)  So, I asked my friend Julie (who waaaay too quickly agreed) to train with me for this 5k. She's run a marathon and numerous other races before so she knows what to do to train.

Today was our first day. I didn't die.

It wasn't too bad. We walked at a track that was about 1/3 mile long. We walked the first loop at a brisk pace to warm up. Then ran one long length, walked the short length, ran the long length, walk the short length. Rinse and repeat. We ran a total of 5 of the long lengths and it wasn't horrible. On the last one I was about 30 yards from the end and walked for about 10 yards and thought that was stupid so we ran the rest.

All in all, not too bad. We'll do this a couple more times this week and then up the distance or time we run. Eventually it'll be a full 5k run. Someday.

And, I didn't die.

~with much love, always

No comments: